Church of St. Anthony

170 Meeker Avenue,  Watkins, MN 55389

 Phone: 320-764-2755

"...And the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one flesh."

Mark 10:8


Listed are some common questions regarding marriage:


Q: Do I have to be a registered member of the parish to have a wedding at St. Anthony of Watkins?
A: Normally the answer is yes.  If you are registered elsewhere because of work or living arrangements, written permission from your registered parish will be required at the beginning of the Marriage Preparation Process.


Q: How do I arrange for a Wedding Date?
A: Normally the process is simple! Presuming no one has been married before, a phone call to (1) set and reserve a date for the wedding and (2) set up the first appointment with the pastor to begin the preparation work.
Most weddings in this church are on a Saturday between 1 PM and 3 PM. Some weddings take place late in the afternoon on Friday. (3) If either the bride or groom were baptized in a parish other than St. Anthony of Watkins, a current copy must be obtained.


Q: If one of us has been married before, what do I do?
A: Arrange a one-on-one conversation with the pastor. If the first marriage is a valid marriage in the eyes of the Catholic Church, a decree of annulment must be obtained before another wedding date can be set.  The annulment process will take between 12 – 16 months. 


Q: What is included in the marriage preparation process?
A: Through several meetings with the pastor, a relationship is established that assists the couple in realizing the spiritual significance of the Sacrament of Marriage. The Preparation process includes filling out all marriage papers, taking the FOCCUS Inventory, two meetings to discuss the Inventory and one meeting to discuss the wedding ceremony. A weekend Seminar is also necessary. The pastor’s position is to make the wedding dream of the bride and groom come true as well as helping them see the sacredness of their life-choice.


Q: When should I purchase the state wedding license?
A: Wedding licenses can be purchased at any county court house. Both the bride and groom should be present.  Do not make this purchase until the priest give you a certificate granting you a major deduction on this purchase.


Q: Can I have a priest relative or priest friend celebrate my wedding?
A: Yes. The parish is even willing to do the paper work for your wedding and assist the family friend with the wedding practice.


Q: What kind of music can I use at my wedding?
A: Normally respectful music is used. A discussion with your musicians and the pastor can easily solve this question. I have had weddings in Wyoming with all Western music and weddings in Maui with all Hawaiian music. In practice wedding couples pick respectful music without question.


Q: Who should I get to play the music at my wedding?
A: The parish can offer suggestions.


Q:  Are there any special rules regarding the church for the wedding?
A: Our rules are all common sense regulations:
[1] White runners are forbidden by our insurance company.
[2] Attachments to the pews must be void of glue.
[3] Flower petals cannot be thrown on the floor – stains the carpet
[4] Flash cameras are not allowed.
[5] Only Official Photographers can use the choir loft.
[6] All group photos should be taken before the wedding.
[7] The wedding party can have drink and light food in the social hall, but not in the church proper. (common sense)


Q: What does it cost to have a wedding at St. Anthony?
A: The church pays for the FOCCUS and the Ceremony Preparation booklets, etc. Plus the lights and ambiance for the wedding pictures. The couple must pay the fee for the required diocesan marriage preparation weekend program. There is a minimum fee of $100 to the parish and $100 to the pastor, which can be paid on the wedding day. Some parishes charge $1,200. This parish hopes to break even and not cause the wedding couple an unfair burden.